Thursday, June 05, 2008

I'm Better!

Greetings! Pfft. That chest infection was a total pussy. Nothing that rest, vitamins, plenty of water and a good dose of azithromycin couldn't cure.

So, the project still isn't over. I thought it would be, but it's not. See, there's the manuscript phase (which I was barely involved with), followed by 1Rs (which stands for First Round, the pages created by Production - PDFs of what the actual book will look like). 1Rs get edited and sent back to Production, who then incorporate the changes and send the PDFs back to us as 2Rs. In theory. What actually happens is that we have no time, so we go straight from 1Rs to the Digital phase, (which I've also heard referred to as the PDF phase or the Confirming proof phase; these terms in publishing are apparently fluid), which are the final files that go to the printer. So now I've got editors reviewing Digital proofs, which comprise forty-eight chapters
of 50-80 pages each, as well as forty-eight seven-page front matter proofs. Poo.

Yes, Adam, fascinating. Please, drone on for a few paragraphs more, I'm almost at the REM stage of sleep.
I'm going to write my Driver's License test tomorrow. Yeah, I know, pitiful, right? Almost thirty and never had a license. My life was just a perfect storm of circumstances that resulted in me never getting licensed. (Dad's a Metrobus driver, so I always had a free bus pass; Toronto had an excellent mass transit system; people who drive cars in Taiwan have rocks in their heads [I got my scooter license, though]; New York, same as Toronto.) Anyway, I did get my Learner's Permit in Newfoundland when I was home for Christmas 2006, but I didn't get much of a chance to practice for my road test in Taiwan. Either way, vroom, vroom, beep, beep. The plan is for me to have my Learner's Permit for next week when we drive to Niagara Falls to collect my dad and wicked step-mother. (I jest, I jest. Liz is a doll. And she reads this website.)

I like video games. But I don't like all kinds of video games. The kinds of video games I don't like are first-person shooters, sports games, and fighting games. Now, of course, there are exceptions. Duke Nuke Them is fantastic in its own way, and what little I played of Bioshock was excellent. Some of my fondest gaming memories come from the hazy recollections of fierce competitions in NHL '94 on Brian Lundrigan's Sega Genesis. As for fighting games, there's Super Smash Bros. Brawl (which barely counts), the Soul Blade/Calibur series, and Street Fighter. I got really fucking good at Street Fighter II Turbo. Accordingly, news that Street Fighter IV is upon us gives me one more reason to covet the PS3.

Also, the fact that the SFIV trailer features Faith No More catapults the news into the Awesomesphere.

Now I want them to do one with "We Care a Lot."

Newsworthy: Apparently aliens are real, and some whack job in Colorado has 'proof.' I love it. Hey, if it's good enough for Larry King, fuck it, it's good enough for me.

Also, crime is on the rise in Liberty City. Won't someone please think of the children?

A parting gift for all the Mega Man fans I know and love. The last thirty seconds are genius.


Now fuck off.

Love, Adam
You are a super doody. You are a mega doody. You are a monster doody.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam, you and I both in the same car licence situation. I also got my permit in 2006 and have to successfully complete my driver's test before July 21 (also the date of my birthday). My main reason for getting a licence-- to get family to stop nagging me and apparently to drive my wife and child from the hospital after the birth around the first week of September.

~Paul

11:57 am, June 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally watched the end of that Dr. Wily short and you are totally right with the pay off at the end! My gut hurts.

~Paul

3:02 pm, June 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home