Friday, October 24, 2008

I never cared much for democracy, anyway.

And it's a good thing. Because otherwise I might get all pissed off about, you know, being disenfranchised. See, last July marked five years since I left Canada to go to Taiwan. Apparently, any Canadians that have not lived in Canada for five years are ineligible to vote in elections. (It used to be that if you at least returned for a visit, you maintained your eligibility, which would put me in good standing.)

I think that's bullshit. I don't pay taxes in Canada, but neither do many students over the age of 18, as well as people who are unemployed or otherwise tax-exempt. It's not like the Americans are going to let me vote in the upcoming election just because I pay taxes here.

I remember when I was in Taiwan, my friends from South Africa would say, "South Africa has gone so politically-correct that even our prisoners are allowed to vote." I thought that was crazy. Well, haha, joke's on me, because guess what I found out this morning while I was screwing around on the internets? Yep. Inmates in Canadian prisons can vote, too. Which is fine. If that's the law, that's the law. I understand how it contravenes their human rights to deny them the right to vote. What I kind of have a problem with is the fact that convicted serial killer/rapist Paul Bernardo has more of a say in who gets elected to lead my country than I do. That's not okay.

At least I can take some small comfort in the knowledge that the riding I would have been voting in (St. John's East) was handily won by (former provincial NDP leader) Jack Harris, so my vote would not have affected this particular outcome.

Still.

Sigh. Anyway, it's been a slow week. I've started doing some work on a super-mega-secret (awesome) project that I cannot tell you anything about. Yet.

Christmas is coming.

The Murkans are nearing climax in this frothing orgy of rhetoric that claims to be an election. A neat side effect is that people trying to sift through the mounds of lies and half-truths can play Truth Invaders to chip away at the lies (from both Democrats and Republicans). Fun and informative.

Also worth checking out: the immaculately-titled Brokers With Hands on Their Faces Blog.

Here are two videos from Funny or Die (the website that brought us Will Ferrell's Pearl McKay videos and Paris Hilton's hilarious political ad). These kids took "Take On Me" and "Head Over Heels" and re-dubbed them with literalistic lyrics. I love it.
See more funny videos at Funny or Die

See more funny videos at Funny or Die

Mega Man 9 update: I'm stuck on Wily's Castle. The laser/lava things keep blowing me up.

Slow week! That's all I've got! Thanks for stopping in!

Now fuck off.

Love, Adam
Well, technically, we're a constitutional monarchy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pipe wrench fight!

I voted. I don't suck.

I was in Sin John's on the weekend and had an India Ale at Bar None. You weren't there. That sucked.

~paul

3:10 pm, October 29, 2008  
Blogger AdamFireFist said...

Aw. You're right sweet.
Some day, lad. Some day soon.

10:36 pm, October 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home